East Texas Style BBQ Brisket
1 x 5 Lb Beef Brisket
3 Tbsp Chili Powder
3 Tbsp Brown Sugar
3 Tbsp paprika
3 Tbsp Kosher Salt
2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
2 Tbsp Onion Powder
2 Tbsp Black Pepper
2 Tbsp Cayenne
2 tsp Cumin
2 Smoking Pouches as per this site:
Devil’s Elbow BBQ Sauce
5 Ounces Worcestershire Sauce
1.5 Cups Root Beer
1.5 Cup Devil’s Elbow IPA
¼ Cup Brown Sugar
1 Cup Canola Oil
1 tsp Kosher Salt
6 Ounces Tomato Paste
½ Cup Lemon Juice
2 Ounces Minced Garlic
4 Ounces Finely Chopped Yellow Onion
1 Tbsp Ground Cumin
2 Tbsp Dry Mustard
1 Tbsp Fresh Oregano
1 Tbsp Paprika
Hot Sauce to Taste:
-.5 tsp if you don’t like the heat
-1 Tbsp if you do
Devil’s Elbow BBQ Sauce
1. Combine all sauce ingredients and bring to a simmer.
2. Separate into two equal parts.
3. Add 1.5 cups of water to one of the halves of sauce. That will henceforth become your “Mop Sauce” which will be used to braise your brisket.
4. Reserve the other half.
1. Combine all ingredients into bowl and mix well.
1. On a three burner BBQ turn on outside burners and leave middle off. On a 2 burner BBQ turn on right side and leave left side off. Heat BBQ up to 275 degrees. Check your BBQ thermometer to confirm.
2. Rub Brisket on all sides with dry rub, generously.
3. Place First Smoke Pouch below the grill on the side of the BBQ that is NOT on.
4. Place roasting pan on grill where the grill is NOT on.
5. Place brisket into pan fat side down. Close lid and LEAVE IT CLOSED. NO PEEKING!
6. After 1 hour open and braise the meat with your “Mop Sauce”. Nice and heavy. Don’t worry about braising the fat. Only the meat. At this point flip the brisket over and rotate the front to back.
7. Repeat Mopping/Flipping Rotating every hour. Don’t let too much heat escape BBQ so you need to be quick.
8. At 2 hours replace the smoke pouch.
9. Brisket should take about 7 hours to cook. When meat is tender and internal temp is at 190 degrees it is done. Pro Tip: if you can push a spoon 1 inch into the brisket easily then it is ready to eat.
10. If you don’t have the confidence/patience to cook the brisket for the full six hours you can cheat after the second hour. After the second smoke pouch has expired you can mop your brisket very well and then wrap it tightly in foil and finish it in a 250 degree oven. This process should only take an additional 3 hours. Again it is done when the meat is tender and the internal temp is 190.
11. After Brisket is done let it rest for 30 mins. before serving it.
1. Pull or slice your finished brisket. If you were cool you’d pull it.
2. Dress it generously with your reserved BBQ sauce and serve it to all your best friends with some great bread or buns.